The King's Scout Award is the top award in Scouting. The requirements are similar to that of the Gold Duke of Edinburgh's Award and both can be completed together provided you have been registered and assessed in accordance with the Duke of Edinburgh's Award requirements.
To gain this Award the following requirements must be completed:
- Be a member of Explorer Scouts or the Scout Network or both for at least 18 months. This can include any time counted for the Chief Scout's Platinum or Diamond Awards.
- Complete 18 nights away as an Explorer Scout or member of the Scout Network, of which 12 must be camping. This may include any nights counted for the Chief Scout's Platinum or Diamond Awards.
- Complete two activities from the list of International, Environment and Values activities. These should be different activities from the Chief Scout's Platinum and Diamond Awards and not from the same area.
Hold the Gold Duke of Edinburgh's Award, or complete the five King's Scout Award Challenges, which are:
- take up a Skill for 6 or 12 months, and show progress and lasting interest. The skill can be an existing interest or something entirely new
- take up a Physical Activity for 6 or 12 months, completing an agreed programme of taking part and achievement
- provide Service to an individual or the community for 12 months. Briefing and training should be given in order to gain the necessary skills. This many include helping with another Section as a Young Leader
- complete a four day and three night expedition in open or adventurous country by foot, cycle, horse, canoe, boat or dinghy. The expedition should involve careful preparation, training, responsibility and review
- complete a five day and four night residential project in an unfamiliar environment with people who are not known. This project should be environmental work, activity based, service to others or personal training
- following completion of the first four elements of the Award make a presentation, to a suitable audience, of your achievements so far in working towards the King's Scout Award.
All Members should complete twelve months in either the Physical Activity or the Skill
Explorer Scouts and members of the Scout Network who are not holders of the Duke of Edinburgh's Silver Award or the Chief Scout's Diamond Award must complete an extra six months in either the Service or the longer of the Skills or Physical Recreation Challenge.